Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Christmas Cookies
Aiden and Seth have been helping me with Christmas cookies over several days this past week. Last week, we made "bell cookies" - a recipe of my mom's that I've always loved. The boys contributed by putting the clapper (an m&m) on the dough before they went in the oven. I had to laugh because I always put the m&m on so that I can't see the 'm' on it... I think it's more realistic as a clapper if there isn't a letter in the middle of it. However, Aiden was very insistent that the 'm' be face-up on his cookies. He even was reaching over and fixing the ones that Seth and I made after all the m&m's were on!

On Saturday, as the second snow of the season was falling, the boys helped me again with Christmas cookies. We made cut-outs, which is another recipe of my mom's (made with nutmeg, so they have more flavor that the regular sugar cookie cut-outs), and one that my sister, brother and I always helped my mom with when we were little.



It was a messy undertaking, but we had fun. Aiden especially liked playing in the flour that was on the table and had a layer all over his arms when we finished. Seth kept eating the cookie dough, no matter how many times I told him not to, and reminded me of his Uncle Howie that way.
On Monday, I mixed up some frosting and we got the cut-outs all decorated. The smaller container of red sugar has larger than necessary holes in it, and consequently there were many cookies that had sugar that needed to be dumped off of them after Seth was done. Aiden preferred using the larger sprinkles container, which was harder to hold onto. Just as we were finishing up, he was getting the hang of holding it in up two hands instead of holding it in one hand and resting it in the frosting.


But no matter whether the cookies are broken now or completely covered in sprinkles, they still taste good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You have certainly been ambitious! Looks like fun!
Post a Comment