Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Letters and Reading
For the past week or so, I have been using some of the time when Cora is sleeping to have "school" with Seth and Aiden. This consists doing puzzles that teach either letters, numbers or colors... and actually talking about why each piece goes where it does, since the boys memorized where all the pieces go a long time ago. I show them how to hold a pencil correctly and let them practice writing the letters 'A' and 'H', since their attempts at 'A' usually aren't connected at the top. We also work to put the magnet letters in alphabetical order and talk about words that start with each letter. Today I asked just Seth what the name of each letter was (in no order) and he knew almost all of them! The letters he gets confused on are 'E' and 'F', 'V' and 'Y' and 'M' and 'W'. Aiden is a lot less sure of his letters and when I asked him, Seth kept wanting to jump in and give the answer. How to encourage Aiden to answer (and learn!) without discouraging Seth is what I haven't quite figured out yet. (Any advice, please let me know!)
After Cora was awake from her nap, I got some of the board books out to read to her while the boys were playing "train" in the dining room with the kitchen chairs. However, since reading is one of their favorite things to do, they left the train to come look at books with Cora and I. Then I let them sit with Cora and "read" to her too.

I am so thankful for boys that like books! And even more thankful for two big brothers that love their little sister!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment