until Christmas! And I'm already getting ready. Tonight, I made all my cut-out cookies (which are NOT sugar cookies, but the recipe my mom always used to make, which has nutmeg in it... they're the best Christmas cut-out cookies ever!). I didn't decorate them, and I won't decorate them until after Thanksgiving, but it makes me glad to know that they'll be in the freezer and ready to get frosted once we get back from NY.
(Confession: I have gotten lax in my pursuit of the perfectly shaped Christmas cut-out cookie. My cookies this year were thicker than usual, had more bubbles than usual and were salvaged more often than not when they didn't come out of the cookie cutter as they should have. Although "blame" is much too harsh of a word, I do have to say that I know for certain that the two little people we have crawling around our house these days had a lot to do with me keeping cookies I would have otherwise scrapped and redone. Once Aiden and Seth were asleep tonight, I only had just a few hours to get all the cookies baked. There wasn't time to be picky! Maybe someday - about 20 years from now - I'll try once again for perfectly made cut-out cookies. For now, I will enjoy my crooked trees, skewed stars and lopsided candy canes and content myself with the fact that they are all baked more than a month in advance... and they still will taste just the same even though they're not perfect!)
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your crooked trees and skewed stars are absolutely wonderful. The fact that you could get it done at all is amazing to me! Just wait until they start helping you make them - then the cookies are hardly recognizable for a while and some of them end up in the "done" box with a bite taken out. I usually have the 6 cousins at one time and we bake and decorate them in one day - it's chaotic but wonerfully chaotic!
Post a Comment