When should the boys start taking one nap instead of two? Since their corrected age is only 12-and-a-half months, I have thought we might be able to get away with giving them two naps for a few more months still. Right now, they take a nap at 9am and a nap at 2pm, and (most often) fall asleep quite quickly. However, Aiden typically sleeps only a half hour each time, and Seth always seems really tired (not to mention crabby) after lunch, when we're still about an hour and a half away from his second nap. I had intended to experiment with skipping the morning nap today and putting them down right after lunch, but they were up really early this morning and there was no way Seth was going to last for 7 hours. So he went down like normal, around 9am. But Aiden was happily playing then, so I kept him up. By 10am though, he was pretty crabby and the only thing that would make him happy was getting some crackers to munch on.
The crackers may have kept him happy, but they certainly didn't keep him awake! At 10:15, I carried a completely asleep Aiden upstairs for a nap. I guess I'll wait awhile and then try again. I had just really hoped that going to one nap (at least for Aiden) would help him sleep longer! If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think that you might have to keep them on 2 naps for a little while longer, maybe even a few more months. When they start to refuse to take a nap at 9am that's probably when they are ready to stay up until after lunch.
I really miss 2 naps a day! Emma gave up her afternoon nap about a week ago. She just refuses to go to sleep in the afternoon. She has no problem in the am, she loves her morning nap! The boys will let you know when nap time is over. They probably will just refuse to sleep.
I'm thinking you probably want to keep two naps for a bit longer. I think roughly 18 months is when they're USUALLY ready to drop one nap. Then again, I never dealt with a little one only sleeping for 1/2 an hour in the morning! Either way, it's a rough transition trying to get it figured out. But, once it's done things fall into a new routine. :)
By the way, how long did Aiden sleep when you took him upstairs???
Post a Comment