Yesterday morning, the kids and I went to a nearby farm to pick strawberries. I had been there by myself on Saturday morning and had picked eight quarts then. However, after making seven batches of jam that afternoon and evening, all the berries I picked were gone. My goal with the kids was to pick enough to make strawberry shortcake and strawberry ice cream.
Seth and Aiden helped me some... although Seth wanted to check with me about each one he picked and Aiden was more interested in wandering away and finding other people to talk to. (Thankfully, there were only about ten people there besides us and most of them were senior citizens who didn't seem to mind a chatty 4-year-old.)

After we'd picked about three quarts, I figured we had enough (and we did - both the shortcake and homemade ice cream were made and eaten yesterday evening... and they were delicious!).
The first time Aiden and Seth were berry picking was when they were 2 1/2, and they have always been very good about not eating while we're picking. Cora, at 21 months, is still a little too young to understand why she shouldn't eat the strawberries before we pay for them. As evidenced by her face, hands, shirt and shorts, she helped herself several times before I was able to get her to stop. At one point, I even caught her eating a stem. But I guess if anyone can still look cute with a strawberry-stained face, it's Cora!


No comments:
Post a Comment