Last Saturday, I was going to trim the boys hair again, but decided that it might be time for their first official cut with clippers instead. Having no experience with cutting hair, I didn't think it would matter much when we were unable to find Grandma's pair of clippers, and Dan only had his beard trimmer with him. I started in on Seth only to find that it was difficult to cut even his thin baby locks without real clippers. So Dan and I attempted to take them to two different barbers in Marion, but we arrived around 12:15 and they both closed at noon. It was up to me to finish what I'd started.
Although I was a little sentimental about the loss of their soft baby hair when I finished, I was happy with the results. Aiden and Seth both had their hair clipped at a 5, so it wasn't too short (but it looked shorter on Aiden just because his hair is lighter and thinner).
Later that evening, I was noticing a few spots on Seth's head that seemed longer than others. I grabbed the beard trimmer one more time right before putting the boys in their bath and made a swipe down the middle of Seth's head. I was thinking, "See, I knew it was too long in that spot," when I saw how much hair had come off, and then I realized why it was so short. Dan had sweetly cleaned out the trimmer for me that afternoon, but as he did so, he set it back to a length of 1, instead of the 5 that I'd had it at. How was I supposed to know that I should check the length again before running it over Seth's hair? Of course, I was devastated with the 2-inch reverse mohawk I cut in my son's hair. Through his laughter, Dan was able to cut the rest of Seth's hair at a 2 to even it out with the rest a little better. The spot where I messed up is still very visible to me, but I think others would only notice if it was pointed out to them, or if Seth was tilting his head down (like he is in the last picture). Moral of the story... let someone else do the hair cutting next time and always, ALWAYS check the length of the clippers!

2 comments:
I still think it was Dan's fault. :)
I told this story to Ron and we both got a laugh out of it. Wish I could've seen it in person.
Post a Comment