.

.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Very Crabby

On Tuesday evening, Dan, Hannah and Jonathan decided they were going to try to catch some crabs on the beach. First they went, then David, Alvana, Lori, Howie, and my cousin, Dan, joined them. They came back with a bucket-full of crabs, which we put a lid on and kept until the morning to show to Aiden and Seth.
On Thursday evening, Dan wanted to go again and take me along, so after the kids were in bed, Dan, Jonathan, Julian and I went over to the beach (later to be joined by David, Howie and Hannah). Dan told me that there were a lot more that evening than there had been on Tuesday (maybe because it had been warmer that day and not rainy? I'm not sure.), but we collected close to 100, if not more. We brought them back to the house to show to my dad, who had only heard about Tuesday night's experience, but hadn't arrived at the beach house until Wednesday. He was amazed at how many we had. They were all too little to do anything with and I've never been a seafood person anyway, so the thrill was in the hunt, but I was happy with our catch and release program. After showing them to Dad and the others who had stayed back at the house, we trekked back across the road to the beach and poured them out near the water.
(Since I try to always buy a magnet wherever we've been, I sent Dan into a souvenir shop for me on Saturday morning on our way out of town. And he found a cute one with a picture of a crab on it... perfect!)

No comments: